Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The Good, The Bad, and the Chinese

The last couple of days have been filled with a lot of highs, a lot of lows, and as always, a lot of Chinese people.

The Good....
  1. I finally got a full time job! I'm working 40 hours a week taking care of 20, 2-3 year-old kids. It's not as bad as it sounds because fortunately they're past the diaper changing stage. Plus I have three other teachers in the room with me who speak Chinese, plus a maid who comes in and out every 15 minutes to serve meals and clean up. Basically, the only reason I get paid 15,000 Quai a month is to literally talk to the kids so they get used to hearing English and start to associate it with things. A little boring, but eh, it pays the bills.
  2. The room has a play mat of a city and it's called Tian'anmen Square....made me laugh.
  3. My teachers have made it their mission to teach me as much Chinese as possible. The 2-3 year olds are the only ones learning from the kids songs.
  4. I might have been booked by a modeling agency to get paid 800 RMB this Friday. The agent said I'm a lot better looking than the other guys, but I can't make it to the casting with the clothing company tomorrow because of school. So I just gave the agency my pictures and maybe they'll call me. Who knows.
The Bad...
  1. I'm getting kicked out of my awesome awesome apartment at the end of the month. Apparently, my roommate is a diplomat, so she holds diplomatic immunity to prevent the police and other officials from entering our apartment. But with me in the house, the police can use me as an excuse and come raid our apartment which the Luxembourg Consulate does not want to happen. So I have to find a worse place to live for more money, ugh. I'm not even sure why the police would want to raid the consulate of one of the smallest countries in the world. Oh well.
  2. I have to commute to work 40 minutes through the most crowded metro stations in the city. I am literally walking in crowds of thousands of Chinese in a small metro station.
  3. I don't get paid till October 13th, which means I'll be living very sparingly for the next few weeks.
The Chinese...
  1. There are a lot of them.
  2. They don't wear hats for some reason. 20 million people in the city, 20 of which wear hats I noticed.
  3. If you're over the age of 70 and a man, you don't wear a shirt in public....and no one thinks it's strange.
  4. There is a woman at 7 am every morning who has one of the juiciest, nasaliest, spit whorks I've ever heard in my life. I don't even need to set my alarm anymore.

Love Ezra

No comments:

Post a Comment