Thursday, October 29, 2009

Halloween

Well, it's Halloween weekend and you know what that means.....nothing really. China doesn't really celebrate Halloween and anyone over the age of 23 has no idea at all what is is. I've had to explain what a Jack-O-Lantern is about 10 different times. (Surprisingly, it's a neat origin story, look it up). The only people who really celebrate Halloween are the Expats (Expatriots= non natives). So there are only a few places where you can dress up and go out.

I do however have to dress up for school. We have a Halloween celebration today and we've been preparing for it all week, i.e decorating the school, making costumes for the kids, making trick or treating boxes, etc. And I have blisters all over my fingers from operating a tiny pair of scissors that were designed for 3 year-olds. Apparently we don't have a pair of normal scissors in the whole school, just the kinds that won't cut your skin....or anything else for that matter.
But it should be a fun day however.
I'm either going as
1) A giant nerd. Very easy costume.
2) Yao Ming. I found his jersey in a store.
3) Tide detergent comes in enormous bags over here, so I might cut arm holes and a head hole, wear it, and just wave at everyone. I'd be a Tidal Wave.

My apartment is starting to come together very nicely. I have an amazing couch now that doesn't have a metal spear aimed at my spine under the cushions like my old couch. Plus I got a really nice fish tank. No fish yet, just a fish tank. Which brings me to my next little adventure.

I went to the pet market also know as Hell for anyone in the ASPCA. I felt so bad for a lot of the animals there. Cute puppies are in tiny cages stacked on top of each other. Walls upon walls of birds cramped into small cages. They didn't have any cats however which made me a little nervous because there was a chwar salesmen (meat on a stick) outside.

I'll update my blog again this weekend and take you on an exclusive, behind the scenes look at my overly expensive, under-ly square footed apartment.

Also, I took a picture of the Napoleon Dynamite guy that I work with. The best part was, when I took his picture, he said "You better not be putting this up on some Napoleon Dynamite Website." Technically I'm not....haha.


Things Ezra has learned...
1. The Shanghai-nese equivalent of the middle finger.
2. If someone calls you a multi-colored wolf. It's an insult, not a compliment. It means you get around a lot. (Oh the stuff you learn on the street)
3. There's a guy who rips the tails off of scorpions in this giant bin right outside my apartment for a local restaurant. Bravest man I've ever met. Gonna see if he will let me try.
4. Badminton is cool. (From what I'm told).
5. My Mandarin is getting a lot better, I was actually somewhat able to communicate with the China Tele-com guy who came to set up my email.
6. Everyone can be bribed with a pack of cigarettes or 50 RMB. Cigarettes are cheaper. I got the moving guys to carry up my couch to the third floor for me who were only supposed to drive.

Till this weekend...
Love,
Ezra

1 comment:

  1. of course badminton is cool..i coulda told you that fool..MORE UPDATES!!!!!

    ReplyDelete